Tuesday 19 May 2009

Jim fixes it

I was at Chester-le-Street for the final day of the second test with the West Indies yesterday and despite the match being over in a flash (just 22 overs), I thoroughly enjoyed some absorbing cricket.

With all the talk about how Twenty20 cricket would take over, I witnessed some fantastic test match swing bowling, particularly from Jimmy Anderson. The Burnley Express has really come on of late, swinging the ball both ways, and he is part of a much improved bowling attack that gives England every chance in the Ashes.

And another thought. Many of my Sunday press colleagues talked about how test cricket is dying. I cannot see that happening.

One of the joys of cricket is the battle between bat and ball. Twenty20 cricket is purely about scoring runs, not taking wickets. And sooner or later, the novelty will wear off.

No comments: