Thursday 9 October 2008

Something for the weekend

I know a lot of sports journalism students who support their teams every Saturday and expect to do the same for the rest of their lives. They are living in cloud cuckoo land.

When does the majority of sport take place? That's right, the weekend. So sports journalists should expect to give up the vast majorities of their Saturdays and Sundays.

It's either your team or your profession - something that few students actually realise. Giving up watching Wycombe Wanderers regularly is one of the hardest things I've had to do, but it is a sacrifice I have had to make if I want the career I want.

I am therefore delighted that I have a Saturday off. Any late work requests permitting, I will be at Grimsby on Saturday to watch the best team in League Two. It will only be my second Wycombe match of the season. Let's hope the 300 mile round trip is worth it!

No comments: