Wednesday 1 October 2008

Champions League - you're having a laugh!

I don't know about anyone else but whenever the Champions League is on, I just have to get away.

The group stages of that competition just don't excite me at all. Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool will all go through to the second stages (Liverpool will score some jammy last minute winner in their final match from Stevie G typically).

So on Tuesday night, I decided to do some more research on a league I do a lot of reporting: the Championship. It was my third trip to Turf Moor this season as I saw Burnley v Watford. Real football and in one of the game's most exciting leagues.

I like Turf Moor. An old ground re-built (in part) successfully and the second best football grub in the world (after Kidderminster Harriers of course).

To come away from a 3-2 home win (after the visitors had led 2-1 at half time) and feel disappointed with it is insane but this was not a brilliant match.

But it was still, I'd imagine, a better alternative to watching Manchester United or Arsenal stuff their foreign opponents.

Sadly there is no domestic action today. So the choice is: flick between Liverpool and Chelsea at home or watch Liverpool down the pub?

No comments: